Book Title: Making Learning REAL: Reaching and Engaging All Learners in Secondary Classrooms
Publisher: Educators for Social Responsibility
Author: Carol Miller Lieber
We believe that good teaching not only supports the intellectual development of adolescents-it nourishes their spirits and touches their hearts. Students want teachers who care about them; they want coursework that connects to their lives and the world they live in; and they want to be academically challenged and held accountable for meeting those challenges. Making Learning REAL
showcases proven classroom practices that increase students' motivation, effort, and engagement in learning and enable teachers and students to become partners in a high performing community of learners.
Making Learning REAL is organized around seven core practices:
1. Developing Positive Relationships Among and Between Students and Teachers
2. Personalized Student-centered Learning
3. Multiple Ways of Knowing and Learning
4. Establishing Clear Norms and Boundaries
5. Building a Cohesive Community of Learners
6. Providing High Expectations and High Student Support
7. Affirming Diversity in Your Classroom
A set of readings link theory and research to each of the core practices. The book also includes a guide for assessing student learning, preparation and start-up of the new school year, the first day of class, and the first month of school. Over 60 protocols in a special appendix offer suggestions for incorporating topics from Making Learning REAL into school-based professional development and education courses.